Step 1: Inform the funding agency about your wish to move

Some people looking for an apartment receive social benefits from their funding agency* to help them cover their living costs. In general, EU newcomers cannot claim benefits until they have a permanent residence and an employment contract. Certain conditions must be fulfilled so that the costs of your new home can be taken into account in the calculation of your social benefits.

  • Your funding agency must accept a move to your new apartment as necessary. A move is necessary, for example, if your apartment is too small or the condition of your apartment is unacceptable (because, for example, electricity, gas or water pipes are defective or the walls are moldy).
  • Furthermore, your new apartment must be adequate, i.e. the monthly rent must not exceed a certain limit (see step 2).

You will only receive additional benefits if these conditions are fulfilled. Your funding agency requires various information for the necessity and adequacy assessment. Therefore, you will receive forms from your funding agency, which have to be filled in by you and your future landlord. The following pages explain in which case you need which form.

Sozialamt – Leistungen nach dem AsylbLG und zur Wohnraumsicherung
Entenpoth 34
44263 Dortmund
Phonenumber of your caseworker
MON, TUE, THU and FRI: 8.00 – 10.30 am
It is also possible to arrange an appointment outside the opening hours.
Steinstraße 39, 44147 Dortmund
Königshof 1, 44147 Dortmund
Am Kaiserhain 1, 44139 Dortmund
Südwall 5 – 9, 44137 Dortmund
Kampstraße 49, 44137 Dortmund
MON, TUE, FRI: 7.30 am – 12.30 pm,
THU 7.30 am – 6.00 pm and WED by prior arrangement

*Your funding agency is the department from which you receive money every month. It is either the Sozialamt or the Jobcenter.